Friday 18 September 2009

17th & 18th September 2009

Wow! It's been crazy busy yesterday and today... Loads to do and see and think about. We met Benedict and Rachel, our Ugandan "Mum and Dad" yesterday; they were really lovely, and very welcoming. We'll be staying in a bungalow near their house in Namaliri where we'll be working. We've had some more training sessions, language and culture stuff and some teaching training too.

The most exciting thing was going into Kampala yesterday - it was AMAZING!!! Full of people and noise and dust. The walk was insanely hot, but it was good to get out a bit. I can't even begin to describe it to you, you have to be there to understand the craziness of the place... Picture bright red earth that throws up dust when you walk on it, and kinda tarmac roads that have millions of potholes everywhere :) Today we had to drive through one that had a lake in it cos it was soooo huge! There are people on motorbikes yelling at you "boda boda", which is a type of public transport here... you can smell burning rubbish and food being cooked on the street, literally on the kerb, everywhere you go. Women sit with their kids on the pavement trying to sell bits and pieces, everyone wearing faded and discoloured old clothes. The poverty isn't everywhere though - there are businessmen in suits, and people keep themselves looking amazing bearing in mind how much dust there is everywhere! I don't know how they do it.. I'll have to show you photos when I'm home; it's too much to take in and put into words.

We've been doing Bible studies most nights, which has been GREAT for the team as we try to bond. The girls are lovely people and we're getting to know each other better with each day that goes past. I miss people from home, really miss not needing to explain myself cos you all already know me! But I'm 100000% sure that the 5 of us will be like sisters by the end of February.

Today, the 18th, we went to visit the project run by Oasis called Bambejja. It's a Luganda word that means "princess". It basically supports 120 girls through school, providing them with life skills training, healthcare and emotional and spiritual support. Oasis as a whole are big on the whole holistic care thing :) It's a fantastic project; I met some of the girls last year while I was there helping to build a big structure called a banda, which is a grass roofed open walled shelter. It was SOOOO awesome being back there!! I cried when I saw the completed banda, it was very emotional. Typical me! :) We didn't see the girls today but met all of the Oasis staff, both from overseas and local. We'll be having a meeting with them at Bambejja every Friday when we do our theological training course there. Bambejja is in a slum area in Kampala called Kyebando, which is obviously very poor and difficult to walk through. I wasn't as shocked as last year, I guess cos I've seen it before, but it was difficult nonetheless. On the streets in Kampala the other day there were some scarily thin children begging. It was heartbreaking cos there's nothing immediate that we can do - giving out money just doesn't solve the problem. Anyway, the kids in the slum were delighted to see us today! They shout "mzungu" at you, which means white person, and run after you! Very cute :D

I have to go now and email my personal statement to school... Never do a gap year while you're trying to reapply to uni!!! Lots and lots of love and hugs! Hope you guys back home are doing OK, please email me so I know what's going on with you! I might not be able to reply straight away, but I'll do my best.

Lovelovelove! :D
Flick
xXx

No comments:

Post a Comment